Castle Vinsebeck

luftbild

The air picture above has been kindly provided by the company Argos Luftbild.

The Castle of Vinsebeck with the surrounding water ditch is clearly visible in the upper right part of the picture. At the crossing left of the castle the church of Vinsebeck is also visible (also with light facade).

The village of Vinsebeck is today part of the town of Steinheim.

The castle was build in the year 1720. The founders were the Drost Johann Friedrich Ignaz and his three brothers, the cannons Ferdinand Ernst Adam, Adolph Franz Friedrich and Mauritz Lothar von der Lippe. They fixed the following motto above the entrance: “bonum et jucundum fratres habitare in unum”. The castle is a so called water castle meaning that it is surround by a water trench called Gräfte or Gracht. Two bridges are leading into the castle. The building has a cellar floor still above the water, a ground floor and another floor above. Unfortunatly the origin state of the building is not completely preserved as one of the two wodden free stairways that lead from the entrance area to the banquetting-hall in the first floor has been additionally fixed an rebuild. It is believed that the castle was the summer residence of the canons who were living in Paderborn during winter.

When the line of Vinsebeck with Moritz Anton Freiherr von der Lippe as the last male extincted in the year 1767 all wealth and the castle fell to the sister of the died Theresia, married since 1735 with Hermann Werner von der Affeburg zur Hinnenburg. The legacy of Theresia devolved to her daughter Antonette, married in the year 1765 with Johann Ignatz Grafen Wolff-Metternich zur Gracht, whose descendants build a Fideikommiß (a Fideikommiß is a special legacy contract) in the year 1902 with permission by Kaiser Wilhelms II.

In the year 1795 or some years earlier the line of Wintrup of the family von der Lippe began a lawsuit against the counts of Wolff-Metternicht who were the owner of Vinsebeck.The von der Lippe claimed that Vinsebeck was a “Mann- und Stammlehen” of Paderborn and therefore could not have been devolved into a female line but to the line of Wintrup. On the other hand there was a family contract of 1767 that explicitly contained a  separatio deudi ab allodio. The line of Wintrup did not succeed in the legal action and the lawsuit ended after nearly forty year with a renunciation based on a composition of the complainants.

Another interesting fact is that two movies have been filmed in the castle. In the fifties (of the 20th century) a movie called “Der tolle Bomberg” (“The mad bomberg”; Arca-Film; Regie: Rolf Thiele). The actors were very well known at that time as they were Hans Albers, Harald Juhnke, Gerd Fröbe, Paul Henkels and Marion Michael. In the year 1974 the tv movie “Griseldis” staring Sabine Sinjen after a novel of Hedwig Courths-Maler was shot there.

Now some pictures of vinsebeck are following. Additional pictures can be found in the internet at www.vinsebeck.de.

Frontview of Castle

For Visitors

Main Entrance

Part of Main Entrance

Entrance with Tower

Chapel

Chapel

Rear View

 Upper hall

emergency currency of 1921

 emergency currency of 1921

Picture Postcard

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Picture Postcard

Picture Postcard

Picture Postcard

Picture Postcard

Picture Postcard

Picture Postcard

Westfalian farm building

Gate of a westfalian farm building

corner towers of the castle

park side of the castle

tombstones

picture postcard